Friday, August 9, 2013

Guilt Tripped at a Garage Sale

Greetings!

You may have noticed that I scored some sweet vintage finds for cheap in my last post. This is concerning that sale. Although in the end I came out with some quality stuff, it was kind of an awkward sale. Have you ever been at one of these?  An elderly woman was running the sale and had most of the items priced pretty cheap. $1 for shirts, $2 for jackets, etc. But she was running the sale with I'm guessing her daughter. And every time I asked the elderly woman what she wanted for an unpriced item she would give me a low number, and the daughter would grumble and mumble about how that's not enough to charge. So I would set the item down and tell them to go ahead and talk it over while I browsed more.  This happened multiple times with multiple items. Each time I'd leave the item at the table in my pile and let them discuss it.

When I finally was done shopping I asked what the total damage was and she said $22.  I agreed to the price without questioning what cost what. Didn't even try to negotiate because I thought it was a pretty fair price.  Then as I'm counting out my money to pay,  under her breath the daughter grumbles - "one of those hats is probably worth $22".

It's like ... what the hell lady?  Why are you guilt tripping me for buying items from YOUR sale that YOU put on the sale and that YOU priced?

Am I supposed to just offer you $300 for everything?  What are you expecting from me and what is your problem?

I do try to see the flip side of every coin, however.  Maybe the elderly woman's husband passed away and she just wants to get rid of his stuff and isn't concerned about money at this time, but the daughter is there so that she doesn't get taken advantage of.  I get that. But I gave them what the daughter and elderly woman asked for so I just don't see what the problem was?

If my Grandma's were alive and having a sale I tell you what - I'd be there before the sale is open to the public, and I would take (and even pay a little) for the items that I think are valuable.  I would keep any heirlooms or keepsakes I wanted for my family and sell the rest myself.  The last thing I would want is some scum ball like me coming and taking everything for cheap to resell.  But I doubt that daughter was going to go on eBay and list and sell these items.  Give me a break.  Don't have a yard sale if you don't want to sell your stuff.

Rant over.

The eBay Freshman


No comments:

Post a Comment