Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Haunted House Garage Sale Finds - 7/23/13

Greetings!

Today I took a look at Craigslist to see if I could find any useful 'freebies' or garage sales in my area.  No freebies of interest but to my surprise I found one sale (it's Tuesday and sales are slim).  I punched the sale into my GPS app on my phone and headed out on my lunch break armed with plenty of singles and an open mind.

On my way to the address I passed a house that was very uninviting.  It had not tresspassing signs up on every side of the house, plenty of lawn owls perched on the rickety fence and junk everywhere in the yard.  The house looked pretty much completely haunted and I was anxious to keep moving ... when I realized that this was the house having the sale.  I saw in the front lawn a sign that said 'garage sale inside' and pulled around the side of the house and parked.

Hesitantly I walked up the steps and walked in the front porch screen door.  Their were boxes to my left and boxes to my right.  Then an older, slightly overweight gentleman who was not wearing a shirt and looked in need of a shower walked up the stairs and greeted me as he set down another box.  He said the stuff on the porch was for sale and to start looking through the boxes.

Nothing was marked and I started digging.  My only competition was an elderly couple who seemed to be 'picking' just like me.  They were there first and had first grab on a lot of the items.  I skimmed over what was left and here is what I came away with:

1 Unopened Myrtle Beach Canvas Floating Device
2 Vintage Bear Candles
1 Vintage Rooster Candle that appears to be a Gurly
1 Porcelain Lion Statue
1 Porcelain Lion fighting a Tiger statue (made in Japan) - looks like Dee Bee Co Import From Japan but it is cracked and chipped in several spots.

I paid $2 for these items in total.

I also swung by a local thrift store to kill the rest of my lunch hour.  Came away with a pair of vintage Lazy Bones Wing Tip golf cleats. Paid $2.60 (shoes were half off at this store today).

If things go my way I hope to bring in around $100 - $180 off of these items.

Oh - and the guy was very nice at this sale - so don't judge a sale by the appearance of the house or yard ... never know what you might find and who you might meet!

Happy Hunting!

The eBay Freshman

PS:  I would love to get to know other bloggers that are doing similar things with their eBay stores.  Let's swap stories and follow each other!  Don't be shy - you can email me here - theebayfreshman@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment